One day after Paul Bremer appeared on 60 Minutes, the Pentagon has admitted that it rejected Bremer's request for additional troops in Iraq.
In May 2004, Bremer (who was the most senior U.S. official on the ground in Iraq) told the Pentagon that more troops were needed to fight the 'insurgency' in Iraq. His request was ignored.
During his Sunday appearance on 60 Minutes, Bremer said that he had followed up to confirm that Donald Rumsfeld had been in receipt of his memo requesting additional troops. Rummy indeed received the memo; he just chose to ignore it.
Paul Bremer says his memo suggested that half a million troops were needed in Iraq, which was more than 3 times the number of troops who were there at the time Bremer wrote the memo.